The first site that really got me wanting to start a blog is Making Sense of Cents. This is the site I used as a guide when starting my blog. There are tons of ideas, and a very thorough step-by-step guide to starting a blog on WordPress through Bluehost.
Bluehost was super simple to set up. The hardest part was deciding on a name for my page. Make sure you pick something that is easily remembered.
Right now you can start your own blog with them for as low as $3.45 a month. This includes a free domain. This is for the basic plan. Some of the other plans have more options such as unlimited websites. I highly recommend signing up for the 12 month hosting plan through Bluehost. It’s affordable and you can save a lot of money by signing up for at least 12 months. There are no contracts with Bluehost and you can get a refund anytime, even after 11 months!
I did some significant research before I paid for hosting. I know a lot of people have used Blogger for free, but the consensus that I got, is that it was difficult to make money on Blogger, should that be a focus of your blog. You can run any of your own advertisements, affiliate links, direct advertising, etc. with a blog ran on Bluehost. Some advertisers and companies may turn away from Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional as self-hosted WordPress blogs, so that’s another big reason to use Bluehost.
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers. Here are some points that convinced me to choose Bluehost:
- Bluehost web hosting offers technical support.
- Bluehost is extremely affordable and they offer inexpensive web hosting at just $3.45 per month. Unlimited web hosting is only $5.95 a month.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- Bluehost offers a guarantee in case you determine that it is not for you. If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason (such as how to set it up, picking a plan, pricing, etc.), you can always send me an email and I can help you out.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted.
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and so on if you are self-hosted on Bluehost than being on Blogspot or Blogger.
- There are TONS of themes to choose from.
I am by no means an expert on WordPress, or blogging in particular, but so far I am VERY happy with Bluehost and WordPress.
When I was looking to start out, there were a LOT of bloggers using WordPress through Bluehost.
Another site with many tips is mostlyblogging . There are tons of tips there on ways to get the word out on your blog to build followers.
I have quickly discovered that social media is a key element in growing your blog. After all, you may have a great blog, but if no one is reading it, you are just spinning your wheels. You have to put yourself out there. As I discover other sites that I believe can help, I will post them here.
<iframe style=”width:120px;height:240px;” marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ src=”//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=theengineersa-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=1119257808&asins=1119257808&linkId=b365caa8e170ca92630ef539e528d17c&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066C0&bg_color=FFFFFF”>